Saturday, June 29, 2013

Mort Subite Framboise

As an avid home brewer I'm always looking for that next beer. Lately, I have been inspired by Belgian beers, including those fermented with wild "bugs". I made the mistake, however, of showing what a lambic fermentation looked like to my wife - she put her foot down and said there was no way that was coming into her house. What was I to do? I had to show her what beer possibly could be (even if it wasn't the same as my intentions) with a bit of a different fermentation. Then it hit me, framboise! I told her it was like raspberry champaign. She loved it. 

Mort Subite is a lambic, spontaneously fermented in Belgian tradition, that has been matured in oak with raspberry juice added.

Pours a reddish, pink with a light pink foamy head. The head is short lasting, not the heavy lacing that you see in other Belgian styles. Brilliantly clear from years of aging. The aroma is strong, sweet raspberries - I guess that is what you might expect, but it's almost over the top. Not a lot of malt in aroma.

The taste is of raspberries, not surprising, but lacking a lot else. There is a slight tang from the long aged lambic base beer giving balance to the sweet raspberry. The high carbonation, and light body give a thin mouthfeel.

Overall, I liked it for what it was. It was very fruity, very raspberry-y, very light, but also, very refreshing. I was expecting something sweeter then it was from what I had read, so being a bit more tart then expected was a nice surprise, though a bit more tang from the lambic would be nice.

3.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment